Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Miss Uptown Whittier Vintage Pageant

Well this is a long overdue post, but It's also one that will inform you of an upcoming venture!
Back in Fall 2011 I was notified by my friend and first ever crowned Miss Uptown Whittier, Ariana that they would be crowning again and she would really love to pass that crown onto me!
Well just who or what is Miss Uptown? Miss Uptown represents the historic little town-like district in the city of Whittier, California. She encompasses what Uptowns friendliness, charm, history and everything Uptown has to offer. Plus it's a Vintage Pageant, held like a fashion show of sorts where you show off your 1950's ensemble and trivia and it's held during the Uptown Antique Fair! A retro pageant that's all about preserving history and fun events? Sign me up! I love Uptown, I shop there, hangout there and I have family that lives there so I thought, why not?

The 2nd Annual Miss Uptown Whittier Contest 2011


Voila! This is what I looked like for my first ever pageant! I decided to go for an early 1950's, late 1940's look. I'm wearing a royal blue taffeta vintage dress that I bought from the shop Valerie's Boulevard, which was located in Whittier near Uptown until about a year ago. My hat that is one of my most favorites that I own came from the shop The Basement, located in Uptown. However I now think it's closed. I paired it with black gloves, backseam stockings and bumper bangs with a snood.

Here I am before the pageant at the pre shoot with my friend Ruby, she also participated in the pageant and she wears a lovely royal blue chiffon dress from Valerie's Boulevard.

Here I am with my very lovely, amazing and talented friend Ariana Rodriguez the first Miss Uptown Whittier. Isn't she just stunning! She designed and made her gown for the event. We actually met earlier that year, when we worked together at ReVamp and hit it off!

Here I am answering some questions

Pageant ladies strutting around

Posing for the crowd

 A group shot of us with Miss Whittier, Miss Teen Whittier, Miss Uptown Whittier & Martha (owner of King Richards Antique Mall in Whittier and organizer of the pageant)

 
And there they are the winners of the 2nd Annaul Miss Uptown! Miss Uptown Robin Rodriguez, 2nd place Crystal Salene and 3rd place Dottie Deville.

Miss Uptown 2011! Isn't she a doll! Such a pretty little lady and she's very sweet too. She's also a burlesque dancer and pinup model  better known as Sirena Siren.

Here they are Miss Uptown 2010 & 2011

I didn't win, but it was a fun and cool experience and I made new friends, plus that didn't stop me from doing it again!

(all photos by. Angel Rivera)

The 3rd Annual Miss Uptown Whittier Contest 2012

Yup last year I decided to give a go again, what the hell! Why not? Here I am at the 2012 contest pictured with my lovely friends and amazing ladies Robin, Miss Uptown 2011 & Ariana, Miss Uptown 2010.


 I wore my own 1940's novelty print rayon vintage dress that I bought at the Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekender that year. I paired it with one of my favorite pair of shoes, my platform peep toe teal patent leather heels! The fascinator I'm wearing I made myself and I used vintage birdcage netting that was 70 yrs old!



Here is the 2012 lineup and I'm not the only one who decided to do it again, last years runner up decided to participate too!

I love this shot! It looks like something straight out of something like Life magazine!

And what do you know I placed in 2nd! Yay!

Here we are! And look last year's runner up Crystal, is the 2012 Miss Uptown!

Cool photo by Fashion Industry and Miss Uptown photographer Roberto Chavez

A group shot of all us ladies

Check it out we made the paper!

(all photos by. Angel Rivera, unless stated)

It was a great event and I couldn't believe I placed in 2nd! Well that time of year is here again and I've had a lot on my plate recently and I hesitated at the thought of participating again...but you know what they say "3rd times a charm"! So catch me at the 2013 Miss Uptown Contest and Fall Antique Faire!



See you there & Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Your Thoughts For Me To Read!